MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif.--The SETI Institute, a non-profit space science and astrobiology research organization, is making its science staff available for selected commercial and academic consulting assignments.
“Our scientists and engineers are recognized leaders in characterizing research problems, and developing the means to solve them,” says Bill Diamond, President and CEO of the SETI Institute. “Their wide-ranging expertise can be highly valuable for commercial and academic projects outside the Institute, and we’re keen to establish such relationships.”
The SETI Institute’s science team has expertise in a wide range of research fields and technologies, including:
|- Big Data||- Fluorometry|
|- Engineering for hazardous environments||- Signal processing|
|- Instrumentation||- Image acquisition and analysis|
|- Remote sensing||- Microscopy/Imaging|
|- Materials science||- RF technology|
|- Cryogenics||- Chemical modeling and analysis|
|- Bio-engineering||- Microbiology|
|- Robotics and drones||- Optics|
|- Spectroscopy||- X-ray diffraction|
|- Lasers and photonics||
- Mass spectrometry
Institute staff has experience in design, development, research and data analysis in these areas and more, and their expertise can be of value to projects that share common science or engineering challenges. Technology-related endeavors of the Institute include:
- Big data analysis tools for NASA’s Kepler space telescope
- Machine learning algorithm development for the Institute’s Allen Telescope Array
- Development of the XRD system on the Mars Curiosity rover
- Navigation and data analytics support for NASA’s New Horizons space probe
- Biological exploration and interpretation of extreme environments, including frozen Antarctic lakes, Volcanic lakes in the Chilean Andes and Devon Crater above the Arctic Circle
- RF signal processing systems for deep space communications and SETI research
- Advanced earthquake warning technology based on electromagnetic characterization of geological stress points
“The breadth and depth of the Institute’s research, combined with its location in the heart of Silicon Valley, make it ideally suited to collaborations with technology companies, entrepreneurs, and Venture Capitalists,” said Dan Lankford – project leader and Trustee of the Institute.
The expertise of SETI Institute scientists can help tech companies deal with difficult challenges, including complex problem solving, due diligence, technology scoping and assessment, as well as strategy and roadmap development.
About the SETI Institute:
The SETI Institute is a multi-disciplinary, highly collaborative, research organization designed to explore, understand, and explain the origin, nature and prevalence of life in the universe, utilizing expertise in fields ranging from astrophysics and planetary science to biology and social science, computer science and signal detection. We have a passion for discovery, and for sharing knowledge as scientific ambassadors to the public, the press, and the government. The SETI Institute is a distinguished partner for government agencies, including NASA and the National Science Foundation, academic institutions, and corporations around the world.