FRANKFORT, Ky. - Chances are good that you or someone you know plays a vital role in Kentuckys vast manufacturing industry.
The Commonwealth is home to more than 4,000 manufacturers, representing 220,000 jobs. That means one in every eight jobs in Kentucky is in manufacturing.
Last year alone, more than 200 manufacturers announced new locations or expansions in the state. These projects are expected to create nearly 7,500 jobs and $2.2 billion in new investment.
Manufacturing is not only a tremendous driver of Kentuckys economy, but it also directly impacts the well-being and stability of thousands of families throughout the Commonwealth, said Gov. Steve Beshear. Kentuckys manufacturers continue to be a source of quality, high-paying jobs. I want to thank these companies for making Kentucky stronger, as well as the employees who work tirelessly to make these great products.
In honor of October being National Manufacturing Month, the following are the top 10 largest manufacturing employers in the state:
- Toyota Motor Manufacturing Kentucky, Georgetown (7,900 employees)
- General Electric, Louisville (5,600)
- Ford, Louisville Assembly Plant, Louisville (4,500)
- Ford, Kentucky Truck Plant, Louisville (4,000)
- Dart Container Corporation, Horse Cave (1,420)
- Tyson Foods, Robards (1,400)
- North American Stainless, Ghent (1,380)
- JBS, Louisville (1,350)
- Pilgrims Pride Corporation, Hickory (1,300)
- Perdue Farms Inc., Beaver Dam (1,280)
For more information on Manufacturing Month, visit www.kam.us.com.
Information on Kentuckys economic development efforts and programs is available at www.ThinkKentucky.com. Fans of the Cabinet for Economic Development can also join the discussion on Facebook or follow on Twitter. Watch the Cabinets This is My Kentucky video on YouTube.