MENOMONEE FALLS, Wis.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Kohl's (NYSE: KSS) today released its 2017 Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) report. Through continued action, Kohl’s strives to make a positive difference for customers, associates, communities, partners and the environment.
“As a purpose-led organization, Kohl’s is committed to making a difference in the communities nationwide that our customers and associates call home,” said Kevin Mansell, Kohl’s chairman, chief executive officer and president. “I’m proud of our collective accomplishments and achievements over the past year, and look forward to the continued efforts of the team.”
Below are highlights from Kohl’s 2017 CSR report now available on Corporate.Kohls.com.
Taking Care of Our Communities
Kohl’s is passionate about giving back to the families and communities it serves. In 2017, Kohl’s and Kohl’s Cares donated over $44 million to support organizations in the company’s hometown of Milwaukee, Wis., as well as the communities where its customers and associates live and work nationwide.
- Kohl’s Volunteer Program: Kohl’s associates volunteered nearly 500,000 hours in 2017 in support of nearly 8,500 organizations that matter most to them. Since the program’s inception in 2001, Kohl’s has donated more than $155 million in corporate grants to eligible nonprofit organizations in recognition of associate volunteer efforts.
- Kohl’s Cares Cause Merchandise: With favorite collections like Dr. Seuss and Sesame Street, the Kohl’s Cares cause merchandise program features kid-friendly merchandise customers love and can feel good about – with 100 percent of the net profit benefiting charitable initiatives nationwide. To date, Kohl’s has raised nearly $340 million through the program, including nearly $20 million in 2017.
- Kohl’s Cares Hospital Partner Program: Kohl’s partners with more than 70 children’s hospitals across the country to support community programs, including healthy development, safety, wellness and chronic disease management. In 2017, Kohl’s Cares committed more than $23 million over two years to enable these hospitals to sustain these impactful programs. To find a partner in your community, visit Kohls.com/cares.
Supporting Our Associates
Kohl’s associates are the company’s greatest asset and drive the positive impact the company is able to make for its customers, communities and partners. Kohl’s also strives to foster a best-in-class workplace for current and prospective associates through engagement, development and recognition.
- Expanded Network of Wellness Centers: In 2017, Kohl’s added four wellness center locations, expanding access to quality, on-site healthcare for its associates and their families. Dedicated teams of medical professionals at 17 wellness center locations at all of Kohl’s distribution centers, e-commerce fulfillment centers and credit centers across the country, offer care tailored to each associate’s specific needs.
- On-Site Childcare: Kohl’s offers on-site childcare through its Child Development Center, providing care for nearly 500 children in dozens of classrooms at the company’s corporate campus. The Center, which opened in 1997, celebrated its 20-year anniversary of serving Kohl’s associates and their families in 2017.
- Growth of Business Resource Groups: Launched in 2015, more than 1,900 Kohl’s associates across the organization are engaged in business resource groups (BRGs) including the Millennial, Hispanic Professionals, Veterans and #PrideatKohls groups, with a fifth Women of Kohl’s BRG launched in 2018.
- Engagement with Leadership: Kohl’s provides forums for open and honest communication to empower associates to share feedback and share new ideas. More than 3,200 associate ideas on the company’s priorities of driving traffic and operational excellence were shared directly with Kohl’s leadership team through active group forums and listening sessions last year.
Leaving a Smaller Footprint
Kohl’s is dedicated to providing healthy and engaging environments for customers and associates. By seeking solutions that encourage long-term sustainability, Kohl’s seeks to leave a smaller footprint and encourage a more sustainable tomorrow.
- Electric Vehicle Charging Stations: Kohl’s offers 206 free electric vehicle-charging stations for customers and associates at 94 locations across the country including Kohl’s corporate headquarters and stores across the country, adding additional convenience while working or shopping.
- Recycling Waste: To make recycling easier for customers, shippers can find a bright green box at Kohl’s stores for recycling select materials and can bring hangers back to the store any time for reuse and recycling. In 2017, Kohl’s recycled more than 150,000 tons of materials, achieving a recycling rate of more than 83 percent across its operations.
- Renewable Energy: In support of renewable and more sustainable sources of energy, Kohl’s hosts over 200,000 solar panels on 163 rooftops around the country and a total of nine solar trees between two locations in Wisconsin and Texas. In addition to solar power, Kohl’s hosts two wind turbines at its distribution center in Findlay, Ohio.
Kohl’s (NYSE: KSS) is a leading omnichannel retailer with more than 1,100 stores in 49 states. With a commitment to inspiring and empowering families to lead fulfilled lives, Kohl’s offers amazing national and proprietary brands, incredible savings and an easy shopping experience in our stores, online at Kohls.com and on Kohl's mobile app. Throughout its history, Kohl's has given more than $650 million to support communities nationwide. For a list of store locations or to shop online, visit Kohls.com. For more information about Kohl’s impact in the community or how to join our winning team, visit Corporate.Kohls.com or follow @KohlsNews on Twitter.