WASHINGTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries (ISRI), the Voice of the Recycling Industry™, is now accepting entries for the 2018 Design for Recycling® (DFR) Award. The DFR Award is ISRI’s highest award given annually to the most outstanding contribution to products designed with recycling in mind. It recognizes proactive steps made by manufacturers who have actively incorporated DFR principles into products and processes.
“Effective recycling really begins at the point a product is first conceived,” said Robin Wiener, president of ISRI. “The Design for Recycling® Award recognizes companies, designers, and manufacturers with clearly established mindsets that stand above others when producing products that can be recycled both safely and efficiently. When their product reaches the end of life stage it can be recycled in a manner that benefits the environment and the economy.”
ISRI inaugurated the award more than 10 years ago. Previous winners include Cascades Fine Papers Group, Coca-Cola Recycling Company, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Dell Inc., LG Electronics, Samsung Electronics, and this year’s winner EcoStrate SFS.
To be eligible for ISRI’s Design for Recycling Award®, a product must be designed/redesigned and manufactured to:
- Contain the maximum amount of materials that are recyclable.
- Be easily recycled through current or newly designed recycling processes and procedures.
- Be cost effective to recycle whereby the cost to recycle does not exceed the value of its recycled materials.
- Be free of hazardous materials that are not recyclable or impede the recycling process.
- Minimize the time and cost involved to recycle the product.
- Reduce the use of raw materials by including recycled materials and/or components.
- Have a net gain in the overall recyclability of the product while reducing the overall negative impact on the environment.
Interested parties can enter online before the February 23, 2018 deadline. Applicants will be notified by March 16, 2018. The winner will be officially recognized at the ISRI 2018 Convention and Exposition to be held April 14-19 in Las Vegas.
The Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries, Inc. (ISRI) is the "Voice of the Recycling Industry™." ISRI represents more than 1,100 companies in 21 chapters in the U.S. and 35 countries that process, broker, and consume scrap commodities, including metals, paper, plastics, glass, rubber, electronics, and textiles. With headquarters in Washington, DC, the Institute provides education, advocacy, safety and compliance training, and promotes public awareness of the vital role recycling plays in the U.S. economy, global trade, the environment and sustainable development. Generating nearly $117 billion annually in U.S. economic activity, the scrap recycling industry provides nearly half a million Americans with good jobs.