OLATHE, Kan.--Garmin International Inc., a unit of Garmin Ltd. (NASDAQ: GRMN), the global leader in satellite navigation, announced today the G5000H, an integrated flight deck specifically designed for twin turbine, medium lift helicopters. The G5000H combines widescreen displays with touchscreen controls to bring leading-edge technology, safety enhancements and reliability to this class of helicopters. The G5000H will be showcased in the Garmin booth (#9432) at this year's Heli-Expo in Dallas, Texas, Feb. 12-14.
We are able to leverage our many years of experience providing quality and reliable situational awareness capabilities like synthetic vision, terrain alerting and datalink weather, to design a system that specifically supports the unique needs and challenges of the helicopter operating environment, said Carl Wolf, Garmin's vice president of aviation sales and marketing. With HSVT and HTAWS plus innovative tools like touchscreen control, Telligence voice command and 3D audio, the G5000H promises to reduce workload and enhance the safety of each mission.
The G5000H features high-resolution, wide aspect ratio primary flight displays (PFD) and multi-function displays (MFD). The system supports multiple display sizes and is scalable to support a large number of display and touchscreen controller configurations.
The landscape oriented displays have multi-pane capability that allows multiple pages to be viewed side-by-side on any of the displays. Therefore, pilots can simultaneously view their primary flight display, maps, charts, checklists and system synoptics, HTAWS, TCAS, flight planning, weather or video input pages.
The touchscreen helicopter management system gives pilots rapid access to the flight information they want. It also has the ability to control a variety of operations within the cockpit such as flight management system functions, lighting, environmental controls, electrical power distribution and hydraulic systems. It has a menu-driven interface with intuitive icons, audio and visual feedback, and animation so pilots know exactly how the system is responding to their input, and the growth-oriented architecture allows for future technologies to be accommodated via software updates.
The G5000H also has numerous optional features:
- Helicopter Synthetic Vision Technology (HSVT) displays an out-the-window view of the surroundings, regardless of the weather conditions. HSVT seamlessly blends information about the helicopter's position with topographic and helicopter-specific obstacle databases to create and display real-time 3D images. Land, water and sky are clearly differentiated with shading and textures that are similar to the topographical colors found on the MFD moving map. HSVT alerts pilots of potential ground hazards by displaying terrain and obstacles that pose a threat to the helicopter.
- HTAWS provides graphical and audible alerts of potential terrain and obstacle conflicts along the flight path. Garmin's HTAWS includes forward looking terrain avoidance (FLTA) capability with visual and aural advisories to keep pilots informed of hazardous terrain and obstacles.
- Worldwide datalink weather solutions enable the display of graphical weather including NEXRAD, METARs, TAFs, TFRs, winds aloft, echo tops, precipitation type at the surface, lightning strikes, storm-cell data, AIRMETs, and SIGMETs.
- Traffic systems offer TAS or TCAS I capability and combine ADS-B enhanced active and passive surveillance data to pinpoint specific traffic threats.
- Global Connectivity Options include the ability to make and receive phone calls, send and receive text messages and transmit critical data off the aircraft while on the ground or in flight.
- Advanced Audio Features including Telligence voice command, 3D spatial audio processing, advanced auto squelch, three COM support and backlighting and ambient noise based volume adjustment.
Additional information about the G5000H or Garmin's complete line of helicopter products is available at www.garmin.com.
Garmin's aviation business segment is a leading provider of solutions to OEM, aftermarket, military and government customers. Garmin's portfolio includes navigation, communication, flight control, hazard avoidance, surveillance, and other products and services that are known for innovation, reliability, and value.
About Garmin International Inc.
Garmin International Inc. is a subsidiary of Garmin Ltd. (Nasdaq: GRMN), the global leader in satellite navigation. Since 1989, this group of companies has designed, manufactured, marketed and sold navigation, communication and information devices and applications most of which are enabled by GPS technology. Garmin's products serve automotive, mobile, wireless, outdoor recreation, marine, aviation, and OEM applications. Garmin Ltd. is incorporated in Switzerland, and its principal subsidiaries are located in the United States, Taiwan and the United Kingdom. For more information, visit Garmin's virtual pressroom at www.garmin.com/pressroom or contact the Media Relations department at 913-397-8200. Garmin is a registered trademark, and G5000H, HSVT and Telligence are trademarks of Garmin Ltd. or its subsidiaries.
All other brands, product names, company names, trademarks and service marks are the properties of their respective owners. All rights reserved.Full Article